Washington has revoked the visas of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and around 80 other Palestinian officials just weeks before the UN General Assembly’s annual high-level session. A U.S. State Department official confirmed the move on Friday (August 29, 2025), noting that the action was taken under orders from Secretary of State Marco Rubio. The decision also includes denying new visa applications from officials tied to the Palestinian Authority and the Palestine Liberation Organization.
The
State Department said the move was based on U.S. national security interests,
citing the PLO and PA’s alleged failure to meet commitments to reject terrorism
and end incitement in education. In addition, the administration suspended a
program that had allowed injured Palestinian children from Gaza to travel to
the U.S. for medical treatment. Palestinian officials denounced the decision as
a breach of international law and Washington’s obligations as the UN’s host
country.
The UN expressed concern over the visa cancellations, with spokesman Stephane Dujarric stating that the body would seek clarification from Washington. He stressed the importance of allowing all members and observers to participate in the Assembly. Despite the restrictions, the U.S. confirmed that representatives assigned to the Palestinian mission in New York would receive waivers to continue operations. Palestinian Ambassador Riyad Mansour said Abbas had been scheduled to lead the delegation, address the General Assembly, and attend a high-level meeting on a two-state solution on September 22.